What are Part 61 and Part 141 flight schools?

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
1 min read

You may hear flight schools talk about “Part 61” and “Part 141” programs. This refers to different parts of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) that set minimum standards for flight training. In general, Part 61 schools are local flight schools that train students on a one-on-one, customized basis, and are not necessarily career-oriented flight academies. Part 141 schools are usually larger, more structured programs, often emphasizing professional pilot training. They may also be associated with a College or University.

No special designation or certification is needed to operate as a flight school. However, a flight school can choose to be certified under FAR Part 141, “Pilot Schools.” In addition to specifying minimum qualifications and requirements for the school’s personnel and facilities, Part 141 provides for Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approval of the school’s training curriculum. The school is subject to FAA inspection, and must meet minimum performance levels in terms of preparing students for the FAA flight test.

Certainly, Part 141 certification can be viewed as evidence of at least a minimum standard of quality and performance. However, it does not mean that instruction at a Part 61 school will be inferior. In fact, many Part 141 schools also train students under Part 61 because it allows for greater flexibility in accommodating a part time student’s schedule and pace of learning. Don’t base your decision solely on whether a school is Part 61 or 141.

Read our entire Getting Started series for more answers.

John Zimmerman