Sporty’s Pilot Shop is also home to Sporty’s Academy, a world renowned flight school. With more than 20 aircraft and 30 instructors, we have a lot of flight training activity. Oftentimes one of our 200+ student pilots will ask for some advice from the more seasoned veterans. The replies vary, but these seem to be the tips you hear most.
You will not land perfectly every time. In fact, you’re going to have bad landings. It’s OK. Everyone goes through it. Don’t give up.
- Pull back, houses get smaller. Push forward, houses get bigger.
- The plane will fly without you touching it. When you find yourself jerking the controls trying to get it to fly straight and level, try letting everything go (with an instructor sitting next to you). You’ll be surprised how nicely the airplane can fly without human interference.
- If flying were easy, everyone would do it. You’ll get it, but not overnight.
- Immerse yourself in aviation. Spend time hanging out at the airport. Talk to other pilots and listen to their advice. We’ve all been there.
- Listen to the CTAF or Tower frequencies while flight planning. Hearing other pilots make mistakes on the radio will help keep you from making the same mistakes.
- Just because you haven’t vomited in an airplane yet doesn’t mean you won’t. Carry sic-sacs. If not for you, for your passengers.
- Don’t force the airplane on the ground. Eventually, it will come down.
- Bored with turns around a point? Fly to grab a meal somewhere. Finding utility in aviation will make training much more fun.
- Start watching the movies Airplane and Top Gun repeatedly. When other pilots throw out a movie quote, you need to be prepared to either complete it, or trump it with another one.
Maybe one of these tips will help build your confidence after a hot day trying to master eights on pylons. Whatever the trials and tribulations, flying is one of the most rewarding experiences you’ll have in your lifetime. Getting that license is worth all the pain and suffering.
Care to add to our list? Email us at [email protected].
- Holiday specials start now at Sporty’s - November 24, 2023
- EAA accepting applications for 2024 scholarship program - November 17, 2023
- Webinar video: What’s new in Sporty’s 2024 Pilot Training Courses - November 16, 2023